Monday, March 7, 2011

Feeling Stuck?

Am I the only one that feels that the interior styling and decor of a house should match the exterior? Does that make sense?

For example:
Mid Century Modern Homes & Interiors
via  AJC Homefinder


You get the point...

I am feeling "stuck" with the style of my 1920 traditional home.  If given a choice I don't think I would go with the more "formal" feel that our home has has in a few rooms, but I feel, in a way, obligated to honor the style and character of it.

Is that crazy?

For instance the formal fireplace, built-in arched alcoves, 8" baseboards, large casing, oversized windows,  and nearly 10' ceilings don't help my cause.

sigh....


I heard on Nate Berkus that the exterior doesn't dictate the inside decor.  Hmmmmm.... I think Nate may be wrong on this one.....even though I want him to be right.

Any thoughts?

Am I being silly? Over thinking this?

9 comments:

Michelle said...

I think the interior should fit your family's lifestyle and it doesn't necessarily need to match the exterior. I think a lot of times it does, simply because of the layout, not because it has to.

You're over thinking just a bit. Do what makes you happy, not what you think you *should* do.

Tasha Roe said...

Thanks, Michelle! I appreciate your feedback. :)
Now on to step 2......how do i do it? lol

DHB said...

I couldn't agree more! I do think that the exterior and interior should compliment each other. I've seen homes that look very traditional on the exterior and then they went ulta-modern on the interior and its doesn't work.

{beth} said...

Okay, Frank Lloyd Wright...that was his philosophy. I don't know...I can see both sides.

Splendorfalls said...

I think you've done an excellent job making your "formal" rooms very welcoming and family friendly while still looking darn cool!

Are you subconsciously looking for an excuse to redo the living room? If so, then I say, take that living room and show it who is boss!

Katrina said...

Ill start by saying that 1st mid-cent home was my cup o tea! Beautiful! I get what your sayin tash. I can feel conflicted too. I think there should be balance. I think with big architectural choices, you should respect your homes origins. But there are tons of things you can do in a home that reflects your personal style. And I think you have done each of the those things quite well in your home.

Tasha Roe said...

Thanks for the feedback and complements!! I really like the idea of "complementing" each other. That makes it easier for my brain to process and accept change. lol

Charisa said...

You're reading my mind! This is what we're currently going through with our house hunt!

In a perfect world, yes, I think the outside should match the inside. But, what do you do when you can't find that style of house? Gotta go with the complimenting route I guess.

Great question!

Hardy Coufal said...

Tasha, it's your style which will matter the most. If you're having a hard time deciding, better consult a remodeling contractor. It helps a lot, and they might give you better ideas to improve your home. Have a happy remodeling process. :)