Friday, October 1, 2010

Catching UP with a DIY

Where did the past month go? No intentions on going awol, but everything started snowballing and this blog of mine was the last thing on my mind.

Since my last post:

  • The boys started school! Very bittersweet for this momma. The milestones are flying by. 
  • Tracy had her baby, Miss Chloe, at 24 weeks.  Both baby and mom are doing well. Miss C is quite the fighter. 
  • I started designing new purses for Fall & my semi-annual Open House. 
  • Started a new Etsy Store called Glitter and Garland. It will be the spot for all of my future paper crafted goodies. 
  • Started working out and tracking my food better. Down 3lbs this week! woot woot! As long as I get to the gym I am good.....so easy to make an excuse every morning. NOT ANY MORE!
  • Attended Strange Folk Festival this year as a guest and not a vendor. It was a first for me not to have a booth. 
  • Went to the Scott Air Show to see the Blue Angles. Its not become tradition with our kiddos. 
  • Started a Bunco group. Should be a blast to get out for some mommy time once a month. 
I've also been going through tons of stuff to purge and organize. My craft/sewing room is a hot mess. Upon my inspecting and sorting I found some sight words cards that i had purchased years before at Roots in Maplewood. If you ever get a chance to go it is worth the visit. Very reasonable prices too! Finding these goodies was almost as good as finding money in your winter coat!


What to do with them? I didn't want to cut them up or puncture them..... I was looking for something to go above  my chalk/magnetic board in the kitchen. Totally lucked out because all the sight words were about food!! score!

Before:


1. Spray painted the clothes pins with flat black spray paint. I wanted them to tie into the color on the chalkboard. 


2. Let the clothes pins dry and then mark and drill a hole on the back side of each of them. This is for the nail on the wall to slip through. 


3. Measure across the top of the chalkboard (or area to be installed) and divide by the amount of clothes pins. Center within that measurement. I lucked out because the chalkboard was 60"/ 5 = 12" Center the card between the 12" and nail a hole 6.5" from the top of the chalkboard.  Attach the sight word and clothes pins together and hang on the nail through the predrilled hole. 



4. Enjoy.  They make me smile every time I walk into the room. 











2 comments:

SplendorFalls said...

I love that project; looks so good!!

MGF said...

Great project, How much light does it give off? Looks great regardless