Saturday, July 18, 2009

New Recipies & Summer lovin'

I have been in a cooking slump. Not just a little one either, but a full on digging-in-of-the-heels-slump. Luckily a few new recipes and fun summer ingredients have helped. The first recipe I tried was Crockpot Lasagna from Homemade Simple's website. Right off the bat I knew I would be making some changes to the recipe and here's what I came up with:



Crockpot Lasagna
1 lb ground turkey - cooked and drained
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 white onion minced
32 oz jar of red pasta sauce
16 oz ricotta cheese
1 C cottage cheese
1.5 C mozzarella cheese (I used a 5 cheese Italian mix)
1/4 C mozzarella cheese for topping
1/2 C Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp dried basil - I used 6 fresh leaves minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 box (4.5 ounces) no boil lasagna noodles, gently broken and layered if needed


INSTRUCTIONS:
Grease the inside of your slow cooker with olive oil or cooking spray.
Combine beef, sauce, garlic and onion in a medium-sized bowl and mix well.
Combine ricotta, cottage, mozzarella & parmesan cheeses with spices in a separate medium-sized bowl.
In the slow cooker, start with the beef mixture (about a 1/4 depending on the size of your cooker). Top with a layer of no boil noodles, then spread on a thin layer of the cheese mixture (about a 1/4). Repeat layers, ending with the beef layer on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.


I used a large crockpot and it filled up about 3/4 of the way.




I would give this one 4/4 stars!!! This is now a new favorite in our house. It was so easy to make and tasted great and didn't heat up the kitchen - a pet peeve of mine in the summer.



The next recipe on my list is Blueberry Zucchini Bread. I'll keep everyone posted. :)


I snapped this at Isaac's baseball game. Micah is always begging to take Ella out of her stroller to play with her. I turned around and he was walking her all over the fields behind the dugout. Talk about making your heart melt! sigh... that little girl has the greatest big brothers in the whole world!!

6 comments:

HMW said...

Your kids are cute. Does Ella say Micah yet?

beth said...

so sweet. she has the best family in the whole world.

can't wait to try crock pot lasagna...sans meat.

Tasha Roe said...

She says 'bub-bub' or 'mi-mi' for micah. hopefully she'll say it soon. the 'bub-bub' makes my skin crawl. lol

i was thinking of you and trina when i made that lasagna. it would be awesome with grilled veggies in the layers - eggplant, portobello mushrooms, etc. i might have to make a veggie one just for us. lol

SplendorFalls said...

Doing a crock pot dinner tomorrow night actually! I only have two, so this is definitely getting made at my house! I've been trying really hard to cook at home since I have new sewing machine guilt...it's going well...another week and I'll be guilt free!

Wahine (wa-he-ne): Hawaiian for female surfer or polynesian woman said...

i love these photos, you are so lucky to have such a great kids and family!! i need recipes too tash, i am going to try this one. we should pass back and forth.

Ax Lady said...

I don't know how I could've missed this! Lasagna is a favorite at our place, but like you, I just can't handle heating up the kitchen with that oven in the summer...I'll be trying this tomorrow evening!